Genus Symphysodontella M. Fleisch. (Pterobryaceae: Bryophyta) - new to the moss flora of the Eastern Ghats
Surveys carried out in the Kolli Hills of Eastern Ghats resulted in the discovery of 2 species of Symphysodontella M. Fleisch. namely S. cylindracea (Mont.) M. Fleisch. and S. involuta (Thwaites & Mitt.) M. Fleisch. of which the former is new to the moss flora of India whereas the latter is new to the moss flora of Eastern Ghats. Detailed descriptions with figures substantiated by photo plates and a key to distinguish the two species are provided. Incidentally, genus Symphysodontella is new to the moss flora of Eastern Ghats.
2. Gangulee HC. Mosses of Eastern India and adjacent regions. Calcutta. 1976; Vol. 2(5): 1135–1462.
3. Lal J. A checklist of Indian mosses. Dehra Dun: Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh; 2005. P. 1–164.
4. Dandotiya D, Govindapyari H, Suman S, Uniyal PL. Checklist of the bryophytes of India. Arch. Bryol. 2011; 88: 1–126.
5. Dixon HN. Mosses collected in Assam. J. Bombay Nat. Hist. Soc. 1937; 39: 769–795.
6. Manju CN, Rajesh KP. Symphysodontella madhusoodananii (Pterobryaceae, Moss): a new species from the Western Ghats of India. Photokeys 2012; 18: 39–44. https://doi.org/10.3897/phytokeys.18.3314
7. Kumar GV, Krishnamurthy KV. Moss flora of Shervaroy Hills of Eastern Ghats (South India). In: Nath V, Asthana AK, Editors. Current Trends in Bryology. Dehra Dun: Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh; 2007. p. 227–243.
8. Sathish SS, Thamizharasi T, Palani R, Vijayakanth P, Vimala A. Checklist of mosses (Bryopsida) of the Kalrayan Hills in the Eastern Ghats of Tamil Nadu, India. Eng. Biosci. 2014; 2: 28–33.
9. Biju PM, Daniels AED. Two species of Isopterygium Mitt. - New to the Eastern Ghats in Peninsular India. Pl. Sci. Today 2016; 3: 129–134. https://doi.org/10.14719/pst.2016.3.2.223
10. Biju PM, Daniels AED. Liverworts new to the Eastern Ghats from Kolli Hills. Cryptog. Biodivers. Assess. 2016; 1: 76–82.
11. Biju PM, Daniels AED. Leucobryum aduncum var. scalare (Leucobryaceae: Bryophyta) - new to the Eastern Ghats. Pl. Sci. Today 2017; 4: 64–67. https://doi.org/10.14719/pst.2017.4.2.295
12. Palani R, Sathish SS, Thamizharasi T, Vijayakanth P. Checklist of Mosses (Bryophyta) of Bodamalai Hills in Eastern Ghats, Tamil Nadu. Pl. Sci. Today 2017; 4: 49–54. https://doi.org/10.14719/pst.2017.4.1.278
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).